Monday, July 26, 2010

Too close for comfort?




I had a nearly sleepless night last Thursday as I worried that the angle of the house wasn't what we had wanted. We're on a big lot, but in my half-awake state, I felt certain that the house was too close to the road and to our neighbor's house. In my mind, it was only about 7 feet away from our neighbor. Coming from a house in the middle of four acres, that was much too close for my comfort. I kept waking up worried that we'd have to redo the excavation and repour the footings, but once I finally made it to the site again two days later (no work was done over the weekend, so I didn't get there as quickly as I should've) and reviewed the engineer's drawings, I realized that it had indeed been placed where we asked. The problem and my reason for overreacting was that we really should've asked again to see the final placement, but let that ball drop in our eagerness to finally get underway. Huge lesson learned there. The position on the lot is not as close to road and neighbor as I feared, but still, we would've preferred that it be rotated about 10 degrees more to the north. However, I'm certain that it will work out well where placed.

No comments:

Post a Comment